The Bingham Canyon Open Pit Copper Mine, in Utah, is a National Historic Landmark that can be seen from space. Salt Lake City locals know this as the Kennecott Copper Mine. This full-class lesson plan could be used for Earth Science, Utah History, or Material Science classes. This is also included as part of the Technology & Society: Material Sciences unit for middle school.
You may want to use the History and Uses of Copper lesson before this one to teach your students all about copper first!
Features of Curriculum
• Full Class Lesson Plan
• Perfect for a Sub Day!
• Paired Student Work
• Two Crossword Versions
• Video Bullet Points
• Part of the Technology & Society: Material Sciences unit
• Good for teaching Utah History!
• Explain the history and significance of the Bingham Canyon Mine.
• Describe the environmental, public health, and safety concerns associated with the Bingham Canyon Mine.
• Identify the geological composition of the Bingham Canyon Mine.
• Describe the extraction and refining steps of the mining process of copper.