Intro to Material Sciences
Before diving into specific topics included in this unit, it is important to understanding the basic descriptive words of Material Sciences. This 2-day lesson includes video instruction with a card sort on some of the words used to describe materials throughout the unit. Then the students design demonstrations with real-world materials to show they understand how to use the words. This was a favorite and fun activity for my middle schoolers!
- Full 2-Day Class Lesson Plan
- Active Learning Card Sort
- Students Design and Carry Out Demonstrations
- Group Work
- Video Pause to Ponders
- Part of the Technology & Society: Material Sciences unit
- Define the material science properties of stiff, strong, ductile, brittle, tough, and hard.
- Identify examples of the material science properties of stiff, strong, ductile, brittle, tough, and hard.
- Design and carry out demonstrations of the material science properties using common household objects.